A Thank You Note To My Friends & Colleagues
I feel grateful on a daily basis, but like so many others, I often forget to express my gratitude or assume incorrectly that you are already aware of my gratitude. As always, assumptions are problematic because we certainly can’t read each others’ minds. We would if we could, right? First, I would like to say that I am so sorry that I am not always verbal about how deeply touched I am by so many wonderful moments. I have so many things to be grateful for that writing this makes me well up with tears. I will try to list what makes me grateful. Despite my best efforts, I am sure that this will not be an exhaustive list.
1. I am grateful to those of you who smile at me, greet me and seem happy to see me. This is no small thing. I remember many days in middle school when I would have given anything to be acknowledged in such a heartwarming way.
2. To those of you who help me celebrate my joys as if they are yours as well, I am deeply indebted. There is nothing quite like being able to celebrate one another in a collective manner without envy or jealousy. We all need to do more of this. There is enough success to go around and there is nothing that even comes close to celebrating together.
3. I am certainly grateful to those who are attuned to me and pick up on the nuances of my moods. Sometimes an acknowledgment of a down moment feels really good. We all want more than anything to be understood. I hope that I return that favor.
4. Thank you to those of you who pick up the phone when I need to talk or who take a moment to respond to a message that I have sent you. There are moments when contact with you is all that I want and your response is deeply appreciated.
5. I am more than grateful when it is clear to me that you have been thinking of me and send me a note or an article about something that may be of interest to me. That means so much to me. Those of you who know me are aware that I am an information junkie, and I thank you for feeding me all sorts of information.
6. I am always thankful when you remember an important event in my life and follow up and ask about it. There is nothing quite like knowing that you are actively being listened to and remembered.
7. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for indulging me and asking about my pride and joy, my daughter, of course, and acting interested in getting updates about her. I love to talk about her and those of you who get me know that. Much gratitude.
8. I feel grateful when you seek my opinion. That makes me feel special and necessary. We all need to feel relevant.
9. I am thankful when you question my decisions in a thoughtful and kind manner. It is so much easier to reconsider when doubt is delivered in an emotionally generous manner.
10. Thank you for being in my life. I will be back to you next year with a longer and more complete letter.
With love and gratitude.