Teen Girls and Their Self Esteem
Once again I had the opportunity to meet with a group of teen girls and to find out what is going on in their heads. You see teens loved to be asked their opinions. They just hate to be judged and told what to do, right?
So, here is what I was interested in last night and always for that matter. I was and am interested in what contributes most to teen girls’ self-esteem and in what order. Of course, I had some preconceived notions but I decided to check them at the door.
So here, in the order of importance, is the list of what makes this particular group of 20 high school girls feel good. The list may not generalize to other groups of teen girls, but it is nonetheless interesting.
1. COMPLIMENTS & FRIENDS were tied for first place.
2.Feeling good about their CLOTHING and OUTFITS.
3. ACCOMPLISHMENTS including hobbies and performance art sports activities.
4. Others having TRUST in them was tied with SCHOOL PERFORMANCE.
5. Having a good SENSE OF HUMOR.
6. Having a GOOD HAIR DAY.
7. The following were tied-A Good Skin Day, ATTENTION FROM THE OPPOSITE SEX and having a good personality.
8. Being a GOOD GIRLFRIEND & BEING A GOOD SIBLING
I was surprised that there was so little emphasis on being a good daughter or having a good relationship with parents.
What are your thoughts about this?