I would like to discuss a very relevant topic with you which is teens and divorce. When parents of teenagers get divorced it is sadly and inevitably a rough and trying time for everyone. The adolescents are already going through a time of hormonal and emotional upheaval simply by being adolescents. When that is coupled with the divorce of parents the stress level can increase exponentially for the teens.
In an effort to make this difficult time less difficult for yourself and the teens-I suggest the following:
1. Please do not use your teens as your confidante.
2. Do not complain about the other parent to your teen.
3. Figure out who in the family might need professional help and get it.
4. Try to maintain as much structure as possible.
5. Keep in mind that after about a one year period of time everyone seems to settle down.